Cyrstal Bowersox's Engagement Ring Revealed


While the jewelry hound pack knows I love myself a diamond, I've always been a fan of the non-traditional engagement ring. Ever since Princess Diana got that stunning sapphire for her ill-fated union waaaaay back in 1981, I've been fascinated by brides who opt out of the diamond for their ring finger bling.


American Idol runner-up, Crystal Bowersox, isn't the first person you'd think of to keep Diana's company, but People reports her diamond-free engagement ring was all the rage at her surprise wedding to fellow folkie and longtime friend, Brian Walker last weekend.

The bride wore an organic, hemp and cotton wedding gown from Vermont designer Tara Lynn, according to People and sealed the deal with a 1.1-carat princess cut ruby ring designed by Walker and crafted by Chicago’s Traci Coughlin and Steve Quick Jewelers.

“There are no diamonds to be found as we don’t believe in the violence and injustice that occurs within the diamond trade industry,” Bowersox explained. “Both rings feature the masonry symbol, an infinity 8, and the Sanskrit symbol for the sound ‘om’ and a personal design that for us represents three: Brian, Crystal, and Tony.”

I won't judge her 'diamond-free' political statement (check out my previous rant on 'eco-friendly' jewelry for more on that), but I do love her ruby replacement. And for brides and grooms on a bauble budget, rubies and other gemstone styles are often a more affordable option than the traditional diamond.

I'm afraid I can't find a picture of Crystal's ring (yet!), but I found this ruby wedding band option on JewelClub for under $300 if you want to go the Bowersox route for your big day. Or for any day, by golly.

What do my fellow jewelry hounds think of the non-traditional engagement ring trend? Anyone out there have one? Weigh in!